Knowledge is power, especially when it comes to getting and staying healthy.
So our health programs focus on two important things: 1) developing healthy habits and 2) connecting kids with services when they need help.
How does your support help?
Kids enrolled in our sponsorship program have access to the just-right mix of resources, based on location, age and life circumstances. What is sponsorship? Find out more.
Here are some of the ways your support helps to reinforce healthy habits:
- Sharing information (presentations, pamphlets, posters and one-on-one counseling) about critical health topics tailored to children or caregivers
- Working to identify health-related attitudes and influence them with comprehensive communications
- Creating learning opportunities where kids can practice skills in a supportive environment
- Fostering individual support for kids and families with health challenges
- Using peer modeling to demonstrate healthy behavior
- Reducing barriers to healthy behaviors.
And here are ways your support makes health services available and affordable:
- Operating medical and dental clinics and pharmacies at CI community centers when services are not otherwise accessible or affordable
- Helping kids and their families access and enroll in existing government/public health insurance programs
- Providing subsidies for out-of-pocket expenses where support doesn't exist
- Creating partnerships with local hospitals, clinics and pharmacies to reduce costs
- Mapping services to bring services closer to sponsored communities
Did you know? Each year, 2 million children die from preventable diseases like diarrhea and pneumonia because families can't afford treatment. Check out more facts about poverty and health issues here.
Why focus on health?
Health and poverty are strongly linked.
That's because health issues are often the factor plunging families into poverty. Plus the conditions many kids face make them predisposed to health issues. By investing in health, you're helping kids build a future for themselves.
Our health programs support the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for 2030. No. 3 is: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all ages. Learn more about SDG #3 here.