The link between poverty and poor health is not a hard one to see. Living in poverty can mean a life of malnutrition, poor hygiene, deplorable conditions and preventable diseases going untreated. Illness plunges people further into poverty and leaves children falling behind in school or failing to attend altogether. Your sponsorship or gift creates lasting change for the children in our communities by providing life-changing access to health care programs, medicines and early education about hygiene, nutrition and more.
Each year, 2 million children die from preventable diseases because families can’t afford treatment.
According to the World Health Organization, 1 million children suffer from TB, & 239,000 die from it yearly.
For every 1,000 children born, 39 will die before their 5th birthday. Most under-5 deaths are preventable.
2.4 billion people lack access to basic sanitation services such as toilets and latrines.
3 out of every 10 people live without safe and sanitary drinking water.
Nearly 500,000 children die from malaria each year — that is equivalent to one child every minute.
Good hygiene and wearing shoes is a child’s best defense against life-threatening parasites.
Soap + water = lives saved
Long before washing your hands was a lifesaving mantra in the United States, it was a crucial necessity in the communities we serve. Hand washing prevents not only viral illnesses like COVID-19, but it helps stop preventable diseases that we take for granted like diarrhea, dysentery and parasites.
Healthy happens here
We start early, educating children and their families about healthy behaviors and practices. We also provide access to health care, medications and programs to help parents address nutrition and healthy eating.
- UNICEF 2012
- Health Poverty Action, 2015; Global Health Education, tbfacts.org
- United Nations Millennium Project - Fast Facts: The Faces of Poverty
- Humanillnesses.com, Advameg, Inc
- 2014 WHO Health for the World’s Adolescents
- TBFACTS.org, TB in Children - Getting, diagnosing, and preventing TB in children
- EndMalaria2040.org, From Aspiration to Action — What will it take to end Malaria?
- Un.org, Goal 6: Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
- World Health Organization, Malnutrition, February 16, 2016
- Results.Org, World Poverty and What you Can Do About It
- Lifewater.org, 9 Poverty Statistics that Everyone Should Know, January 28, 2020
- Un.Org, World Economic Situation And Prospects: October 2019 Briefing, No. 131, October, 2019
- Worldbank.org, Poverty Overview, October 2, 2019.
- Dosomething.org, 11 Facts About Global Poverty